“WHAT HINDERS ME FROM BEING BAPTIZED?”
Acts 8:26-29 (808)
A. Let’s read about the evangelist Philip preaching Christ to an Ethiopian Treasurer.
Acts 8:26-39 (808)
1. As the Ethiopian Treasurer was returning to Ethiopia from worship in Jerusalem,
he was reading Isaiah 53:7-8. Vv27-28
2. The evangelist Philip asked him if he understood and the treasurer commented that
he needed guidance. Vv30-31
3. Philip began at Isaiah 53:7-8 and preached Jesus to him. V35
4. They came to a body of water and the treasurer asked, “See, here is water. What
hinders me from being baptized?”
B. Let’s use this question, “What hinders me from being baptized?” to consider three
conditions that can hinder a person from being baptized.
I. Uncertainty regarding the appropriate age can hinder baptism.
A. What is the appropriate age? What is the age of accountability?
1. No certain age is given in the Bible.
2. It must be considered on an individual basis.
a. Does the young person understand the need for baptism, the plan of salvation?
b. Maturity level
3. A young person is a candidate for baptism when he/she knows that he is lost
because of sin, that he/she needs a Savior and that Jesus is that Savior, and knows
the plan of salvation.
II. A lack of understanding about baptism can hinder a person from being baptized.
A. A look at several principles about baptism that the person might not understand.
1. Commanded by Jesus. Matthew 28:18-20 (730)
2 . For the remission of sins. Acts 2:36-39 (808)
3. To put one in a relationship with Christ. Roman 6:3-6 (833)
4. A burial in water. Romans 6:4; Acts 8:36,38 (808)
III. Procrastination hinders baptism.
A. satan can hinder us. 1 Thessalonians 2:18 (873)
A. If you have never been baptized: Are you old enough? Do you understand your
need? Have you been putting off? Then what benefit is there to wait any longer?
Acts 8:35-39 (808)