A DEAD MAN SPEAKS
Hebrews 11:4 (889)
A. The writer of Hebrews wrote an unusual comment in chapter 11 and verse 4:
1. he (Abel) being dead still speaks.
3. When we look more closely we can know that Abel being dead communicates
through his faith by which he lived.
B. Let’s look at what is written about Abel and Cain in Genesis 4:1-7 (3).
1. Cain brought an offering to the Lord, but the Lord didn’t respect Cain and his
2. Abel brought an offering to the Lord, and the Lord respected Abel and his offering.
C. Let’s consider three lessons taught by Abel to us.
I. Abel teaches us the necessity of faith. “By faith”
A. Faith is necessary to please God. Hebrews 11:6 (889); 2 Corinthians 5:7 (854)
1. Faith results from hearing the word of God. Romans 10:17 (836)
2. Abel had faith because he accepted the instructions of God regarding the offering.
b. Genesis 4:6-7 (3); 1 John 3:4 (900)
II. Abel teaches us that an obedient faith is necessary. “By faith Abel offered to God”
A. Faith involves works (action,deeds,obedience).
1. What kind of faith is dead? James 2:14-17,26
2. What kind of faith shows? James 2:18
3. What kind of faith justifies? James 2:21-24
B. “By faith Abel offered”
III. Abel teaches us the reward of faith. “through which he obtained witness that he
A. Abel was considered to be righteous because of his obedient faith..
B. God blesses the righteous. He saves: 1 Peter 4:17-18 (897); Ephesians 2:8-9 (864)
God provides eternal life: Romans 50-21 (833); 1 Peter 1:3-5 (894)
Conclusion: Abel teaches us the necessity of faith in God as we prepare for eternity.