CONTINUE STEADFASTLY (Part One)
Acts 2:36-42,47 (802)
A. After hearing the Apostle Peter’s sermon, about three thousand people were baptized
(v41) and the Lord added them to the church (v47).
B. The apostles instructed these new converts to continue steadfastly in the apostles’
doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
1. Just as these new converts needed to grow in faith and obedience, new disciples
today need to grow.
C. Let’s focus on what these disciples were to continue to practice. This morning we will
look at two of these practices.
I. They were to continue steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine. Acts 2:42
A. Jesus gave His apostles the power to “bind” and “loose” on earth. Matthew 16:13-19
(717), emphasis on vv18-19.
1. “keys of the kingdom of heaven” Matthew 18:18. A key (metaphor for power and
_____________) to each apostle. John 230:19-23 (799); Acts 2:38
2. “kingdom of heaven”. (Matthew 16:18-19). The church is an extention of the
kingdom of heaven on ___________.
3. Jesus gave the apostles the authority to bind (to forbid) and to loose (to allow) on
earth. 1 Corinthians 14:37 (850)
B. Just as the disciples of the first century were to continue to practice the apostles’
doctrine, so are we.
II. The disciples were to continue in fellowship meaning joint-participation; communion or association;
contribution in aid.”
Examples in N.T. 1) joint-participation: Philippians 1:3-7 (867); Philippians 4:15-16.
2) communion or association: Ephesians 4:1-5 (865). 3) contribution in aid: 1 Cor. 16:1-4 (851)
2 Cor. 9:6-8 (856); Galatians 6:9,10,7 (863)
Closing remarks: It’s not enough to _______________________________________________