FEATURES OF THE LORD’S CHURCH (Part Four)
B. God’s word teaches that the church also should be a loving and caring church.
C. This is the last lesson in the series. There are more but these are the features
chosen in our series.
I. The loving and caring attitude is demonstrated by the story that Jesus told about the
good Samaritan. Luke 10:25-37 (762)
A. We learn who our neighbor is.
1. The scribe, or expert in the Law, asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
2. By this story we can determine that our neighbor is anyone who needs our
B. From Jesus we learn that we should be a neighbor to anyone in need. Vv36-37
1. Our religion must be practical_. V37b; James 1:27 (892)
2. The importance of caring for others is taught by Jesus in Matthew 25:31-32,41-
3. The church must be loving and caring and live what we teach.
II. Jesus has given us a new command to love. John 13:34-35 (793)
A. New how? “As I have loved you.”
1. Two types of love:
Phileo: brotherly love, close friendship, etc.
Agape: unconditional love,etc.
B. John 21:15-17 (800) Using two types of love.
1. John 13:34-35. As Jesus loved His Apostles.
C. Love is the badge of discipleship. John 13:34-35
Conclusion: People aren’t drawn to us by _______________________________________.
They are impressed with our love and concern for one another and for them.