Luke 9:23 (760)
A. Everyone is following someone or something.
1. People follow family, friends, philosophy and religion.
B. What does it mean to follow Jesus? John 8:31-32 (787)
1. Jesus tells us that if we continue in His word-hold to His teaching- that we are
really His disciples. ( A disciple is a learner and follower.)
C. Let’s look at six ways in which we should follow Jesus.
I. We follow Jesus as we do God’s will. John 6:38 (784); Luke 22:42 (775)
A. During His ‘Sermon on the Mount,’ Jesus taught the necessity of doing God’s will.
Matthew 7:21-29 (708)
II. We follow Jesus as we serve others. Matthew 20:20-28 (720-721)
A. Service was the great underlying principle of the life of Jesus.
1. He came to save the lost. Luke 19:10 (771)
2. He gave Himself to others during His ministry. 1 Peter 2:21 (895)
3. He sacrificed Himself for others when He paid mankind’s sin debt. Titus 2:14 (882
B. This principle should motivate us. Matthew 20:25-28 (721)
III. We should be compassionate as was Jesus.
A. Jesus sympathized with others. Two examples:
1. For spiritually lost people. Matthew 9:35-36 (710)
2. For the grieving. Luke 7:12-15 (757)
B. Important principle: Romans 12:14 (838)
IV. We follow Jesus as we forgive those who have sinned against us.
A. Jesus forgave. Luke 23:34 (776)
B. Jesus teaches us to forgive. Matthew 18:21-22 (719); Matthew 6:14-15 (707)
V. We should follow Jesus by being prayerful.
A. He began His ministry with prayer (Luke 3:21-22,p752); ended His ministry with
(Luke 23:46, p727) and prayed many times to His Father during His ministry.
B. Jesus teaches us to pray. Matthew 6:9-13 (707)
VI. Jesus was the perfect example of humility and we should learn humility. John 13:4-5,
Conclusion: John 8:31-32 (787); Question: “Am I a follower of Jesus?” Invitation