Daniel 1:8 (650)
A. Questions about being pressured to do something wrong:
B. Daniel, whose name was changed to Belteshazzar, and his friends Shadrach, Meshach,
and Abednego had been taken from Jerusalem to Babylon at the age of eighteen or
nineteen. Read Daniel 1:1-12 (650)
1. These four young men were chosen for a three-year training program to ‘groom’
them for officials in King Nebuchadnezzer’s administration.
2. The program was to ‘brainwash’ them in the Babylonian culture.
C. How did they respond?
I. They refused to compromise their religious convictions. V8
A. These young men were in an ungodly environment. Examples:
1. Their training program consisted of a special diet. V5
B. Daniel purposed that he wouldn’t defile himself with the diet and made a
1. He proposed to eat certain food and proposal was accepted.
2. When the four friends were compared to those who had eaten the special diet, they
C. I’m not certain why these young men refused the special diet.
1. Maybe it was forbidden by Law or had been offered to false gods.
2. I do know that they had conviction.
D. God blessed them. Daniel 1:17,20; 2:46-49
II. Let’s consider four suggestions that will enable us not to compromise.
A. Be reminded that life is made up of many decisions.
B. Know what God wants us to do. Proverbs 3:5-6 (487)
C. Make up our mind in advance. Daniel 1:8; 1 Corinthians 10:13 (846)
D. Follow our convictions.
Conclusion- The next time you are pressured to do wrong: Will you be able to deal with the
pressure, ….. express your convictions? Will you BE PREPARED not to compromise?