PSALM 23:5 (437)
A. Psalm 23:5
B. Let’s consider the first portion of v5 and later we will look at the 2nd and 3rd portions.
I. “You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;”
A. Background material by D” Alfonso: poisonous plants removed from grazing area.
B. Parallel: Jesus, our great Shepherd, has gone before us. In other words, He has
prepared a table for us ________________________________________________.
Hebrews 4:15 (885)
1. Jesus knows our sufferings, sorrows, pain and struggles. He has compassion for us.
a. He knows what it’s like for people to turn against Him. John 6:66-71 (785)
b. to have enemies. He prayed for them to be forgiven.
c. to be tempted by satan (Matthew 4). He quoted scripture.
2. The Christian life can be victorious because we are in the care and control of
Jesus who has been over the territory and prepared a safe place in the presence of our
II. “You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.” V5
A. Background: big earthen bowl of olive oil for treatment to sheep.
B. The Lord our Shepherd provides care and treatment for us.
1. Through the Holy Spirit. Luke 11:9-13 (762); Acts 2:38 (802); Romans 8:1-2, 13-16
C. “My cup runs over.” V5
1. Background: a large stone jar of water for the sheep.
2. Our Heavenly Father has overwhelmed us with blessings:
Closing: Christians can say that their cup runs over, thanks to The Lord our Shepherd.