Jeremiah 7:1-15 (p561)
A. In the days of Jeremiah (about 600 B.C.), the people of Judah faced difficult
B. They had developed a false trust which God condemned.
I. What was the false trust of Judah?
A. They trusted in the Temple. V4
1. Their trust was in the fact that the Temple was in Jerusalem.
2. They had the attitude, “We are safe” v10
3. They were living sinful lives, but going to the Temple to worship. Vv 9-11
B. What was the Lord’s response?
1. Remember Shiloh. Vv 12-15; vv 27-29
2. Since God didn’t spare Shiloh, where the Tabernacle once stood, He had no
plans to spare Jerusalem, where the Temple was located.
3. The Northern Kingdom had already fallen to the Assyrians, and Judah would
soon be overtaken by the Babylonians.
II. There are Christians today who have a false trust. What is it?
A. They trust in the church while refusing to repent and serve God.
1. They are saying, “The church of Christ, the church of Christ. I’m saved
because I am a member of the church of Christ.”
2. These people refuse to repent and obey God.
Examples: 1) Non-attendance (Hebrews 10:19-27) (p 888), 2) lack of
involvement (Ephesians 2:10) (p 864); (James 2:17) (p892); sinful acts
( James 1:27)
B. What is the Lord’s response?
1. Remember Sardis. Revelation 3:1-6 (p906)
2. Remember Laodicea. Revelation 3:14-19
A. Repent. Revelation 3: 3, 19; 1 John 1:9