RESPONSES TO QUESTIONS SUBMITTED
I. “Where are the dead? Already in heaven/hell? Sleeping? Watching us as the rich man
could see Lazarus?
A. Are the dead sleeping?
1. Sleep is a metaphor for death. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-15 (874); 1 Cor.
2. The dead are conscious. The unsaved spirit (Luke 16:22-31,768); the saved spirits
B. Are the dead watching us on earth?
1. I am inclined to say, no.
2. The dead do have a memory of when they were on earth. The rich man in hades
(Luke 16:27-28,768); The martyred Christians in heaven (Rev. 6:9-10).
II. In Revelation 21 is the new heavens and new earth figurative or real? Rev. 21:1 (916)
A. God has promised new heavens and a new earth. 2 Peter 3:13 (899); Isaiah 65:
17-18 (555); Isaiah 66:22
B. The present heavens and earth will be changed, purified and renewed at the return
of Christ. 2 Peter 3,10-14 (899)
C. The new heavens and earth will follow the purification and renewal of the present
heavens and earth. 2 Peter 3:12-13
D. Righteous will dwell in the new heavens and earth. 2 Peter 3:13
E. The new heavens and earth will be the eternal dwelling of the saved.
1. After the judgment and the perdition (perishing, destruction) of ungodly men. 2 Peter
3:7; Revelation 20:11-15 (916)
2. Revelation 21:1-5
New heaven and earth (v1): Either the Universe of dwelling place of the redeemed.
The holy city, the new Jerusalem (v2): The redeemed
Tabernacle of God (v3): God’s presence in the new heaven and earth.
Conclusion: Are you prepared for eternity?