SERIES: THE BLOOD SACRIFICE (Lesson Two)
Hebrews 9:22 (888)
THE BLOOD SACRIFICE REQUIRED
A. The death penalty (spiritual and physical) was placed on humans because of sin.
Genesis 3:1-6,22-24; Gen. 5:5; Romans 3:23; 6:23a
B. Because of the death penalty, God required a blood sacrifice because blood
represents the life. Gen. 9:4-5; Leviticus 17:11,14
C. A life may receive atonement only by the sacrifice of a life. Leviticus 17:1
Introduction: Let’s observe that a blood sacrifice has been required by God in each of the three
III. Blood sacrifice under
A. The Patriarchal Dispensation.
1. Cain and Abel. Genesis 4:1-7 (3); Hebrews 11:4 (889)
2. Abel offered his sacrifice by faith. Romans 10:17 (836)
Firstborn and best of his flock (blood sacrifice)
B. The Mosaic Dispensation. Leviticus 16:11,14,15,34 (96); Hebrews 9:17-22 (887)
1. The high priest offered a blood sacrifice for his sins and a blood sacrifice for the
sins of the people once each year.
2. Observe what the high priest did with the blood of the animals. Lev.11:14-15
C. The Christian Dispensation. Hebrews 9:23-28,11-15 (888)
1. Jesus sacrificed Himself for us. Hebrews 9:14,25,26; 13:12
2. Jesus sacrificed himself once. Hebrews 9:12,26;10:12
3. Jesus’ sacrifice affects eternity. Hebrews 9:15;7:24-25
4. Jesus, after His resurrection, carried His own blood to heaven to present to God as
a sacrifice for the sins of all people who would ever live. Hebrews 9:11-12
a. Consider O.T. high priest. Hebs. 9:6-7,8-10. Consider Jesus, our High Priest.
b. Jesus told Mary not to touch Him. John 20:16-17 (799) Why? Jesus had not
carried His blood to present to God and Mary would have contaminated His
blood. He told Thomas in V27 to “Reach your finger here and___________.
Why? He had been to heaven and presented His Blood sacrifice to His Father.
5. Jesus is our High Priest. Hebs. 2:17;4:14-16
Closing: Comments by Ray Summers in his book, “Worthy Is The Lamp.”