THE FOOLISHNESS OF TRUSTING IN HUMAN WISDOM (Lesson Four)
1 Corinthians 1:18-31 (841)
A. The gist of our study is that God offers man an explanation to the meaning of life and
salvation while man offers his explanation to the meaning of life.
1. Man considers God’s explanation as foolish. Jeremiah 17:5,7 (569)
2. Man’s explanation leads to eternal damnation.
B. Human wisdom degenerates into pride and arrogance.
C. Let us answer the question: “Why is God angered over human boasting?”
I. Because our God is a jealous God.
A. The word “jealous” when applied to God is when someone gives to another what rightly
belongs to God. Exodus 20:4-5 (60)
1. In these verses God spoke of worshipping idols instead of Him. (Giving to idols
the worship that was due God)
2. This practice angers God. Jeremiah 7:17-20 (562)
B. When we choose the wisdom of man instead of the wisdom of God we give to humans
that which rightly belongs to God.
II. Because only God is the source and creator of all things.
A. 1 Chronicles 29:10-16 (349)
1. When we worship a source other than God, we take credit away from the true source
of all things.
B. Acknowledging any other source than God as creator and supplier of all things is a
lie. Deuteronomy 8: 10-16 (154)
1. Consider the condition of America. Deut. 8: 17-19
III. Clarification: What does this have to do with human wisdom?
A. It’s about taking credit for what rightly belongs to God.. …… arrogance. ……….
replacing God’s truth. ……establishing standards to replace truths of God.
What are the consequences? Proverbs 14:12(494); Proverbs 25:4-6