THE GOOD LIFE
1 Peter 3:8-12 (896)
A. Question about the “good life”: ___________________________________?
B. I think you would agree that the response would depend on the individual’s
philosophy of life.
C. Let’s read what the apostle Peter wrote about the ‘good life” in 1 Peter 3:8-12.
I. Peter listed five actions a Christian must take to have the “good life.”
A. We must refrain our tongue from evil. V10b
1. The word refrain carries with it the ideas of holding back. Hold back on using
unkind and hurtful language.
2. These comments will hurt the person to whom these comments are made, and
should hurt the conscience of the person speaking.
3. We should ask God’s forgiveness and work it out with the person who was
B. We must refrain our lips from speaking deceit. V10c
1. The word deceit is the act of deceiving or lying.
2. If we desire to live a good life, our language must meet God’s standard.
C. We must turn away from evil. V11a (KJV uses the word eschew, which means
to keep away from something harmful or bad according to Webster’s NW Dictionary)
2. We can’t live the good life and an evil life at the same time.
D. We must develop good. V11a. When faced with a situation, do what is good (right).
1. Four qualities that will help: a. Be ________. 1 Peter 3:8a; b. Have compassion.
V8b, Ro, 12:15 (838); c. Have _______. V8c, Ro.12:10; d. Be tenderhearted. V8d;
Ephesians 4:32 (865); Be _______________. V8c
E. Seek and pursue peace. V11b; Romans 12:18-19 (838)
II. We are blessed by God when we live the good life.
A. The eyes of the Lord are on us. V12a
B. God’s ears are open to our prayers. V12a; Hebrews 4:12-16 (885)
C. The face of the Lord is against those who do evil. V12c; Those who do evil against
us. Romans 12:17-21 (838) (Peter used anthropomorphism, ascribing human qualities
Conclusion:1) Review. 2) Good life must be lived everyday. 3) When you lie your head on your
pillow tonight, will you have good thoughts of a good day lived?