THE HOLY SPIRIT (Lesson Eight)
The Agencies Through Which the Holy Spirit Operates
A. The Holy Spirit (the ordinary measure) operates in accordance with God’s word.
2 Peter 1:20-21 (898); 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (880); Ephesians 6:17 (866)
B. He never leads us in any way contrary to the word of God or in a way contrary to
free moral agency.
VI. Three agencies through which the Spirit operates. Illustration:
A. Through God’s word.
1. He has delivered the written word of God. 2 Peter 1:20-21 (898)
a. The word ‘interpretation’ means origin. 2 Timothy 3:16 (880). The word
‘inspiration’ means God breathed.
b. Chosen men spoke (and wrote) as they were directed by the Holy Spirit. 2
Peter 1:21; Matthew 10:18-20 (710); Matthew 18:18 (719)
c. The origin of the word is God, and the Spirit has delivered.
2. The Spirit uses the word. Ephesians 6:17 (866)
a. The original word for ‘sword’ is rhema, which was a small sword worn for
b. The Spirit teaches us through the scripture in the N. T. how to become a
Christian and live faithfully.
B. Through the conscience.
1. Everyone has a conscience that determines right and wrong.
2. Its influence is as it has been trained. Acts 23:1 (823); Romans 9:1-2 (835)
a. Did Paul violate his conscience when he was an enemy of Christ? _____
b. Did the Spirit influence his conscience after his conversion? __________
c. “in the Holy Spirit.” Ro.9:1 Paul’s conscience was enlightened and
influenced by the Holy Spirit.
3. Hebrews 13:18 (891). A result of following a good conscience: willing
to live honestly.
Inner voice saying: “Don’t do it.”
You obeyed. The Spirit was using your conscience to guide you.
C. Through God’s providence. Psalm 104:27-30 (469)
1. God’s creation will continue until the “due season.”Until then God’s providence
moves creation along. The Spirit of God gives life and renewal every day. V30
2. God uses people through His providence. Joseph (Gen. 45:1-7,p39); The apostle
Paul (Act 26:22,p827);(Philippians 1:12,p867)
Closing: Review and Invitation