THE HOLY SPIRIT (Lesson Fifteen)
Be Filled With The Spirit (Part One)
Ephesians 5:15-21 (866)
A. Our lesson deals with the filling of the Holy Spirit.
B. We will note what being filled with the Spirit isn’t, and then we will give attention
to what it is and how to be filled with the Spirit.
VIII. Be Filled With The Holy Spirit. Ephesians 5:15-21 (866)
A. What being filled with the Spirit isn’t. It isn’t
1. Receiving the Spirit because Christians received the Spirit when they were saved.
Acts 2:36-38 (802); Acts 5:32 (805)
2. Being baptized by the Spirit because this has only occurred twice. Acts 1:
26-2:4; Acts 10:44-48
3. Receiving supernatural gifts because they are no longer available. 1 Cor. 13:
4. Doing works of righteous.
5. Received automatically.
B. What being filled with the Spirit is. It is
1. The will of the Lord. Ephesians 5:17,18b
2. A command. Ephesians 5:18b
3. Available for all Christians. Ephesians 5:18b-21
4. Given by God. Ephesians 5:20
5. The Spirit controlling our lives by pointing to God’s word. Ephesians 5:17-21;
Colossians 3:15-17 (871)
6. Continually needed because it isn’t a one-time event.
C. How to be filled with the Spirit.
1. Submit to the will of God. Ephesians 5:17-18
2. Decide who we will allow to control our lives. VV17-18
a. A choice: 1) wine in 18a and 2) The Spirit in 18b. Must allow the Spirit
3. Be filled with scripture. Eph. 5:18-19; Colossians 3:16-17 (871); Eph. 6:17
4. Pray and ask God for Him to satisfy our desire to be filled with the Spirit.
A. Review and invitation