THE HOLY SPIRIT (Lesson Twelve)
Sins Against The Spirit (Part One)
A. Our lesson deals with sins against the Holy Spirit.
B. Just as sins are committed against God and Jesus, sins are committed against the
VII. Sins against the Holy Spirit.
A. Attempting to lie to the Spirit.
1. Do you remember the story of Ananias and Sapphire? Acts 5:1-9 (804)
2. They were hypocritical and deceptive in the name of religion.
3. What about when people make these claims:
B. Defiling (corrupting, polluting and profaning) the temple of the Spirit.
1. The temple of the Spirit is the Christians body (1 Corinthians 6:18-20,p844)
and the church (1 Corinthians 3:16-17).
2. The Corinthians had defiled the temple of God by:
C. Grieving the Holy Spirit. Grieve means to burden, afflict with deep sorrow..
1. The Apostle Paul warned the Ephesians Christians not to grieve the Spirit. Eph.
2. How is the Spirit grieved?
a. V25: b. V26:
c. V28 d. V29:
3. The Children of Israel grieve the Spirit. Isaiah 6:7-10 (553)
a. V10: In spite of God’s graciously blessing them, they were ungrateful and
rebelled against God.
D. Quenching the Holy Spirit. Quench means to extinguish; put out.
1. Paul warned the Thessalonians not to quench the Spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:19 (874)
E. Resisting the Spirit. Stephen told the Sandhedrin in Acts 7:51-53;
Jesus said in Matthew 13:13-15 (713); Proverbs 1:24-28 (486)
Closing: Review. These sins are a serious matter but as Christians we can be forgiven.1 Jo.1:5-9