THREE FEATURES OF BAPTISM
A. There are six baptisms mentioned in the Bible. See back of outline.
B. The apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:5, “One Lord, one faith, one baptism,”
1. By the time Paul wrote Ephesians 4:5, four baptisms had been fulfilled and one
will occur in the future with eternal punishment.
2. The one that is applicable today is water baptism.
C. Let’s consider three features of baptism: the uniqueness, the dignity and the necessity.
I. Uniqueness of baptism.
A. Baptism is the only command that we do once.
2. Matthew 28:18-20 (730)
B. Baptism is one of the easiest commands to obey.
2. Acts 8:38-39 (808)
C. Baptism is the only command of which there are no degrees.
1. For example, there are degrees of faith. Matthew 14:31 (715); Matthew 8:10
2. If a person has been properly baptized, he’s been baptized. Acts 8:38
II. The dignity of baptism.
A. Seen in the one who commands baptism. Mark 16:14-20 (748); Luke 24:45-
53 (778); Acts 2:36-39 (802 When someone refuses baptism, who does he disobey?
B. Seen in the fact that our baptism symbolizes the death, burial and
resurrection of Christ. Romans 6:3-6 (833)
C. Manifested in what baptism accomplices.
1. Puts one into Christ. Galatians 3:24-27 (861); Romans 6:3 (833)
2. Puts one in the church. 1 Corinthians 12:13 (848); Ephesians 1:22-23
III. The necessity of baptism.
A. Three passages:
1. Mark 16:16 (748) “will be saved”
2. Acts 2:36-39 (802) “for the remission of sins”
3. I Peter 3:20-22 (896) “which now saves us- baptism.