THREE RESPONSIBILITIES TO THE LOCAL CHURCH
A. As members of a local church, we enjoy many benefits. Examples: Association with
spiritually minded people, a beautiful building conducive to worship, providing of
funerals, weddings and friends on whom we can depend.
B. Along with benefits, we also have responsibilities.
C. Let’s consider three responsibilities we have as members of the local church.
I. We have a responsibility to commend the local church.
A. We should make positive remarks.
B. It doesn’t help the morale to complain.
1. Yes, we can make suggestions, etc. but murmuring is a sin. 1 Corinthians 10:5, 10
C. Let’s use the apostle Paul as an example of one who commended local churches.
1. He thanked God for the church of Corinth. 1 Corinthians 1:4 (841)
2. He expressed confidence in the church in Philippi. Philippians 1:4-6 (867)
3. He was grateful for example of the church in Thessalonica. 1 Thess. 1:6-8 (872)
II. We have a responsibility to bring honor to the local church.
A. We are to live a Christian example. Romans 12:1-2(837);10-21. Matthew 5:16 (705)
III. We have a responsibility as members to cooperate.
A. Ways to cooperate.
1. Work of the church. 1 Corinthians 12:18-27 (848)
2. Attendance. Hebrews 10:25 (888)
3. Financial support. 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 (856)
Conclusion: As we are grateful for the benefits for church membership, let’s be dedicated to