WHEN SOMEONE ASKS FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE
Questions: “What should be the attitude of the local church when a stranger ask for
help? What should be the attitude of the local church when a member ask
for help? What is the responsibility of the local church when a stranger ask
for help and what about when a member ask for help? How does 1 John 3:17
apply to us today as individual Christians.”
I. What should be the attitude and what is the responsibility of the local church when a
stranger/member asks for financial assistance?
A. Our attitude should be to help and our responsibility is to help. Several guiding
1. We are to treat others as we would like for them to treat us. Matthew 7:12
2. We demonstrate our faith by meeting the needs of others. James 2:14-18 (892)
3. Pure religion includes meeting the needs of others. James 1:27
4. We should do good to all people, especially those who belong to the family of
GOD. Galatians 6:7-10 (862-863)
B. There are questions that need to be answered. Here are a few:
1. Does the person work for a living? (not unable, but unwilling?) 2 Thessalonians
2. Does the person spend an inordinate amount of money on a habit such smoking,
Alcohol, gambling, etc?
3. Is the person taking advantage of our goodness? Is he/she going from church to
Church? Is it a scam? 2 Thessalonians 3:10
II. “How does 1 John 3:17 apply to us today as individual Christians.” 1 John 3:16-18 (901)
A. How the love of Christ has been demonstrated. V16
B. We should demonstrate our love by giving to those in need if we are able.. v17
C. We must love in deed and truth. V18
III. Suggestions about helping when someone ask for financial assistance.
A. Pray Philippians 4:6-7 (869)
B. Consider reasons to help and reasons, if any, not to give.
C. The matter isn’t always black and white so err on the side of helping.
D. Use discernment and make the best decision. Two methods: out of church treasury
or giving by individuals.
Conclusion: Our concern must be to obey God and help appropriately but we must resist
enabling someone to sin.